Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Unexpectedly Penang

Starting line. I spotted myself out of the thousands of random pics. I was pretty good in Finding Waldo!
My run at Penang was quite an experience. First of all, I am doing this all my own. Sounds like syiok sendiri but I it's actually a brand new independent me in the making - woke up by myself, go to jetty myself, run myself (normal lah), kena thunderstorm myself, find transport back myself, ask for directions myself, walk back all myself. My parents teman me, but because the race was sooooo freaking early (1.30am I left the hotel, 3am race start)...they just don't bother but snored throughout the night, and when they woke up..it was as if nothing had happened - I was already back in the hotel before they even woke up!

Unexpected: Rain and huge thunderstorm from midspan of the bridge til the finished line.

I was pissed...because just a day before my race, my old Adizero was stolen from my apartment. Immediately, I took EL (it's Emergency, okay!) and bought the exact same one. I could have bought a New Balance which I once eyed on, but I needed to 'break' the shoes as running in new shoes can be a pain in the ass. But any Adizero doesn't require 'breaking'. You can run miles and miles in their brand new pair. They are famous for that......

Unexpected: Someone stole my only running shoes a day before a race. I place that fugly, muddy shoes outside for the whole week, but now only u steal!!


My mum and it was her Birthday today! Her wish? - "Take me to Fatty Boy"
Usually when you go Penang, you think of Har mee, CKT, chendol, Nasi Kandar.....but never will you think of Chicken Rice. Chicken Rice always is associated with Ipoh or Melaka or KL. 

Unexpected: my mum's recommendation (she visited before): Fatty Boy Chicken Rice off Restaurant 98 at Jalan Burmah, right under Tunes Hotel. It was sooo good! The roast chicken as well as pak cham kai was very juicy and the garlic chillie was just right! We also had chai-boy, chicken ofal, and siew-yok as well. They were all delicious but normal. WHAT WAS AMAZING WAS, UNEXPECTEDLY - the RICE. The oily rice itself was sooo fragrant and chi liap-chi liap, not very sticky. Just nice. And also, the customer service was good.




Come to Fatty Boy for the RICE. Tambah nasi!

Fatty Boy Chicken Rice also serves WanTon Mee. Early early also sooo many ppl eating already. The tables were fully occupied at 10am.



Of course, cendol must be part of the Penang's feast. We ate cendol at Komtar first, not the one in Penang Road. The cendol was as good because it's the franchise of the original. Think Old Town Kopitiam concept.


However, we still went to Penang Road's Joo Hooi's cafe for their assam laksa (CKT at Joo Hooi sucks!), and of course the famous Hainan Cendol store right outside Joo Hooi. People, please crowd around the cendol stall. Queuing is never in the vocab. Unexpectedly, it was approx. 15 min wait for my cendol....but wallop all in 1 minute!

One of the most satisfying vacations, as I've accomplished a lot in Penang -  in food and in race (2:41 min)

2 comments:

A Walk of Asia said...

Geez Ivy!

ckckc boleh lah tulisan awak ya. cukup detail ceritanya! hahaha

I didnt know you are so active blogging, running, walkin and things! Enjoy Reading it!
Keep it up!

So this Run... is in George Town? Not in Ipoh?

I still dont get it... many people willing to pay lots money to participate in various marathon, or even travel miles in a car to the marathon place. I thought they were running to the start. hahaha

and you get is tired. hahaha

But Good on ya!!

Unknown said...

Thanks Walk of Asia :) Appreciate the comment and glad u enjoyed my post!

Will post more!

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain