Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I am Proud and Patriotic of my Bata.

I just couldn't help but smile to myself when I read the article in a local paper. It reminded me of 6 years back where I was in a debate with my SIF-fellows during our stint in Singapore on which country Bata came from. Bata can be seen, well, almost every major supermarket in Malaysia. It is quite clear that I should assume that Bata belonged to Malaysia! My Singapore friend thought otherwise, where Bata should be a Singaporean brand because they too has many Bata shops. Thai friends seemed to think Bata belonged to the Thais. No evidence, no research done, everybody just claimed Bata's theirs as it has always been an established name in many ASEAN countries.

So, a Thai friend decided to do the smart thing: Research (....hmmphhh...i think wiki didn't exist yet, so...I think she just googled). Found out it was a Czech man who found Bata. So, the credit goes to Czech Republic. Ohh, which didn't made it thru' Euro top 8.

I know Bata has been trying to built it's brand but it has always been relayed to as a cheap brand. Or a school shoe brand. I have always wore Bata school shoes in my schooling years as Pallas was always a strap-on. Hated strape-ons as you always wanna show off your shoe string-tying skills.
I am proud of my new Bata. It's sweet:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bata rocks! I wore Bata in primary school but changed to Pallas Jazz in sec. school, which did actually have laces. :)

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain