Due to a colleague resigning from the company, I was carefully selected to replace her in overlooking the finishing of a project. My colleague has been monitoring the multi-million dollar project at UTP and her resignation (pasal kahwin lorr) is a huge lost to the company due to her extensive knowledge on project for about a 1++ years already. The problem is that: she's the only scientist who knows how to synthesize the material hands on, and yup...you've guessed it: NO ONE ELSES knows how. Hence, I believe that in the future, we shouldn't let any knowledge be passed down to a single person. This is what happens when he/she resigns from the project/company - panic strikes!
And so, I, of three candidates were selected by my project leader to be attached to UTP, Tronoh. I was the most obvious candidate cause 1. I am Ipoh, Ipoh-mali 2. I am single 3. I am a genius :P My boss orally assured me that three months is all it takes, max (but now I am not so sure anymore).
I've not been to UTP. I've heard that it's one modern campus stuck in the middle of two small dainty township: Tronoh and Seri Iskandar, Perak. I've passed by UTP several times on my way to Setiawan or Lumut but have not stepped foot in its vicinity. I did not want to judge, but on mid-Dec 2011 when I first came to UTP for the first time in my entire life - it actually felt good.
UTP is really green. It's within those hutan-hutan virgin yang belum disentuh lelaki (opps, I mean, manusia). Macaque monkeys and big beruks communing, chatting and scouring for food near the campus is a common sight. I once drove pass the jungle side of the campus and had a clear sight of at least 30 monkeys communing in a clearing of the jungle. I simply thought: there's going to be a planet-of-the apes revolt some day in Malaysia! I can sense it!
As you enter UTP from the main gate (Lumut road), you can see a huge UFO-like structure ahead on your far left. That's the Chancellor's Hall. The point is, there lies the building of the library. The architecture for the library is pretty amazing to me because it resembles several oil rig platforms, graduated in form. Books are visible from the outside, stacked in the most pleasant manner to the eyes. The library is spacious and high-tech machines are all in place for students to borrow or return books. Of course, I've been into the awesome National Library of Singapore, but UTP's library, IMHO, has fight. This is because at night, this library is brightly litten resembling a mini Eiffle Tower....really!
Despite being there for more than a month, I am still most impressed of the modern structures and the conducive working (studying?) environment here. It's serene and pleasant to be walking the corridors of the faculties. I personally adore the arrangement of the buildings where it is not too symmetrical, yet functional in many ways. And there's my personal fav: the glass walls of almost 60% of each building; well, may contribute to global warming, but a service to architecture. Transparency to me is important because it assures that knowledge is to be promulgated and disseminated.
One structure that complete overwhelmes me, which to many means nothing, is the stairs. I huge open staircase exist in every two blocks complements the 'transparency' concept this campus meant to convey. I hang out around here often (yes, stairs!) cause I get better phone reception than any other area :P Oh, I can assure you that the toilets here are clean... but they aint transparent! :P
I would love to run around this campus to train my runs. It would be around 5km to run the whole campus, I guess. But ummm....I have to wear long pants and no singlets. So, forget it! I am still under strict regulation for dress code in-campus.
I was provided with accommodation in-campus. It's a guesthouse. BTW, if you didn't know, the UTP campus was previously a USM campus. Ok, let's make it clearer: this location was where USM campus was located before PETRONAS took over and throw in their billions and make it their own university. I am actually staying in a old guesthouse which belong to USM previously. Ain't that nice the guesthouse; hence I prefer to go back to the comforts of my own home in Ipoh and drive 32km daily to Tronoh to work.
So, I drive daily to work in UTP. Life's been pretty easy peasy in this dainty, small place. UTP is a great place - it's relaxing, and if you're a student, it's a conducive location to study. Some times I had to remind myself I am there to WORK, and not study.
I was provided with accommodation in-campus. It's a guesthouse. BTW, if you didn't know, the UTP campus was previously a USM campus. Ok, let's make it clearer: this location was where USM campus was located before PETRONAS took over and throw in their billions and make it their own university. I am actually staying in a old guesthouse which belong to USM previously. Ain't that nice the guesthouse; hence I prefer to go back to the comforts of my own home in Ipoh and drive 32km daily to Tronoh to work.
So, I drive daily to work in UTP. Life's been pretty easy peasy in this dainty, small place. UTP is a great place - it's relaxing, and if you're a student, it's a conducive location to study. Some times I had to remind myself I am there to WORK, and not study.
Tronoh is where the Chinese ppl are, while Seri Iskandar has mostly Malays in its population. So, demographically, you know where to find your food. If you want chinese food, go to Tronoh while Seri Iskandar has all sorta traditional Malay and mamak stalls. Cheaper than Ipoh, but not cheap comparatively to other ulu townships (it's pretty kampung lah, u see). I usually stop by Tronoh to savour the wan ton mee or soup noodles before heading to work. My lunch is usually malay nasi campur with chicken Vanggey. BTW, there's a new Tesco and Secret Recipe (whoa!) now at Seri Iskandar. :P
I love the sight of dawn on the way to Tronoh. I do enjoy the slow drive to Tronoh daily too as it is never, never as hectic as KL. BUT ummm...like I've said many times to many ppl: Love the campus, hate the township.








1 comment:
nice pic & story..
Post a Comment