I was browsing through my own posts and my previous post was exclusively about the hometown of Alan's mum - Bahau. I still remember mingling with his mum's side of the family, albeit a huge one, was affectionally dear to one another with no air of squabbles or negativity. This was rare considering the family was very large. I felt instantly at home and never felt so close with a family that I had no relation whatsoever. I believed good relations between cousins, sisters, uncles and aunties run through the century.....hope it runs through Alan's gene's too.
Yes, she was the quieter sister, but it was she that stole the show. In her late 50s and with a disease that was diagnosed few months earlier, she took centre stage. She was calm when I saw her sisters and brother chatting her up with a few words of encouragement. Well, she said little, but I knew she enjoyed her moment. She wanted to live the moment. Neither was she shaken by the disease but was just ever so glad to be with her extended family, celebrating the new year. Alan mentioned that her mum was always worry about this and that...but never once was she worried about herself. What an act of selflessness and bravery despite her condition!
My moments with her were short but memorable. I observed her trying to set up a small chat with me once in a while but I was so sorry to have dissapointed her with my crappy Mandarin. She was always telling me about how her grandsons should be sent to my swimming school to learn good swimming. She didn't directly show her affections to Alan, but I knew she cared about him sooooo much. The night before she went for her surgery, I was glad to have a grand dinner with her and her family. And 2 days before, she cooked for me and Alan a nice dinner. I wouldn't like saying that it was her last home-cooked meal....but it sadly was. I still remember it was our fav steam lap-cheong, celery, eggs and tofu. All hakka style. She was also grateful for the organic vege my mum gave her during CNY and I was only glad to have contributed something somehow to her because she willingly accepted me for who I am (she initially thought I was toooo smart) and allowed me to be with her son.
She passes away today peacefully. The mood now is sombre as I stay home writing this postwhilst her family managing the whole funeral. She was a free thinker, but I pray that she's now in the safe hands of our Lord Jesus Christ. I still remember listening to her last words to Alan and my last glance of her before she went to the operation room and never regain unconciousness since then. It is sad, but I know this is Your will, Lord. For she was a good woman and she ran her race well. May she rest in peace. Amen.
2 comments:
my condolences to you, alan and his family....
thanks Bea :)
Post a Comment