
Yesterday, I met my former senior who is now currently attached to the Department of Biology, UPM. He's now studying population genetics on termites. He did his Master degree in Uni of London on taxonomiy. When I was in my degree years, I met him through Ikatan Kristian UPM when he was the president at that time. He is mixed chinese and indian and yesterday he told me he's Mexican! He claimed that he changed his name to Rodriquez, Banderas....whatever! Duh!! I found out that he still possess the same great smile and sense of humor as before, and still have the greatest passion for insects, just as I do.
Many people question my interest in studying insects. But I studied insect or n area called Entomology because of:
1. Insects are one of the most successful organism in this planet (in fact, I believe that it is the most successful). You can just tell by its number of species in this earth - millions of species! In fact, humans are learning much from their adaptability and survival for millions of years in this crap earth.
2. My senior: He was the one that convinced me that studying insects is interesting. I frowned everytime I see him because he would actually talk and talk about his research on insects when we meet face to face. Ahh...and he finally convinced me to joined 'Pest Management' major. And when he graduated, I heard he was working with FRIM - studying insects, of course.
I was surprised to meet him again yesterday in a cafeteria in UPM. I actually said thank you to him for introducing me to Entomology. I told him that it is an area of reseach that I, now, could never let go - thanks to him. He added (soo damn action!) that he was also the one who brought POP SHUVIT's lead bass player to it's fame today. No kidding! THAT, I believe.
I believed because he has changed not only mine and the bass player's lives, but many others today.
Thanks Shawn.
No comments:
Post a Comment