Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Hard selling

I bet most people has had an experience with hard-selling. It is where you receive some great services or was offered one, and before the service is bestowed upon you (or after), the service provider talks incessantly about the benefits of buying their service/product packages and subsequently to commit you long term (read: membership) with them, and that comes with a greater costs $$$$.

This manner of 'compelling' you to buy stuffs/services is not new. I am now committed to a facial package, that I did not regret being in, but from which started off as a hard selling from this lady. I initially called the lady a bitch (I regretted the name calling) because she was annoying and 'forceful' into making me get the package (and I did fell for it). Until now (though no regrets and with intermittent update of my package), I am still using their facial services religiously which has maketh my skin much much better than before, but like an elephant, will never I forget how unhappy I was initially with the way they talk me in into buying it.

Of course, I admit being susceptible to hard selling. Services such as facial, hair, gym, credit cards, spa, etc. may offer you the service one-off, but during which you may have to listen to their lectures during the session. I managed to stop myself from being convinced into getting the package in several occasion e.g. gym and hair, but it wasn't easy. I was literally in hell. You have to be brave, thick-skin, not say much (mute your mouth), and trying not to be rude, just took my bag, stand up and leave. If he/she talks talks talks to you to buying some expensive packages, just walk out the door, smile, say NO Thank you, and leave. Don't sit there and try to talk him/her out (I always try to out-talk them but that turns the game against me). You are unlikely to win. They will find all excuse to counter your reasons.

Giving you an example: GYM. I was happily doing my own cardio, strength training and carrying weights in the gym, when this PT approached me said I was doing it all wrong. Of course, I didn't tell him I used to hire a personal trainer for 12 lessons in year 2005 at a previous gym. I have good knowledge with many gym equipment, and dare he misled me to say I am running wrong and doing the wrong stuffs for toning! I know my body weight has been stagnant for years, but don't you dare tell me I am not running well....because...I have been running for a long time, and I have had 12 f*cking personal training sessions before. He wants me to get a PT package from him and claim I will have a beautiful toned body in 6 months which will attract many guys(?!). What angered me is that I should stop running as my body has got so used to running, it has plateau-ed. Yes, I know my body has been stagnant, and I can run 21 km with one eye closed with zero weight loss, but that's not the point. I just want a healthy heart, I love running and being in 'The Zone' and yak all the nasi lemak I yearn for. My goal is not to lose weight. Probably he didn't understand my goal.

I eventually told him I play badminton every week, run 3 times a week long distance (>7-10km each time) and swim in the weekends. That did shut him up a bit. Because I said to him loudly: WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT FROM ME? I have had too much exercise in my life. I think the yucky fats around my legs did cushion and prevent me from various running injury :-)  Please, I begged him, to just let me do my own sh*t in the gym (even if it's wrong) and eventually told him I have HAD 12 PT lessons before this, and I don't want anybody to control my food intake. I'll accept my flabby arms and my eventual weight gain...like a MAN.

I am not snobbish, but sometimes people tell you white lies just because they wanna get their commission. You are actually cheating me off my money. Why can't you just leave me in peace and not in pieces after my facial, or hair do, or gym or bodyspa? If I wanna jump like a monkey and do crazy cartwheels in the gym...just leave me! If I wanna have a bad hair day for the rest of the year, just let me, and if my body has acne, what gives?

I don't blame the other end either. I know it's not easy getting business nowadays bearing in mind, businesses are very competitive lately. Metro-sexual men and women are rampant in the cities as we know it, and they have good money to spend on beauty, clothings and other personal care. They have therefore become easy targets (or voluntary victims) for various indulgences. I have a friends/family who sold me credit cards, and I did see how difficult it is for him to sell even one in a week. They need to be thick skin to endure rejections. I quietly applaud their effort. That is why I don't mind listening carefully to the seller at the end of the line first, and not reject them immediately. I do not slam the phone down at any sales. I am quite kind in that sense.

Everyone needs to SELL at some point in their life. SELLING is a skill that is actually very useful in life. You have to set your sales pitch right. But when it comes to a point when your pitch becomes forceful and irritating, then that's when you may lose your customers. What's worse: customers turning angry and ugly.


Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain