But this time round, I was thrown one question that I would never expect from my parents. And it went somthing like that:
"When are you getting married? We will be very happy for you if you get married too, u know. It's about time you THINK ABOUT IT. You arr...never even think about it. Married is a good thing, but make sure you're happy with him........Not enough money to start a new life?? There's never enough money to start a new life! If he thinks about you, he'll marry you when he loves you, not when he found money, or car, or big house. Life starts automatically, money or no money. If you wait for car, money, bungalow, everything to turn up beautifully and then only you get married, I'm sure he's a 45-year-old guy by then".
"If he loves you and he THINKS about YOU, he'll marry you now, cause he'll THINKS about the kids you will be bearing and not himself solely. He should understand that you should have the FIRST child beyond 30. It's risky as I've seen soo many Down syndrome cases and complications as I took care of kids along already, etc. etc. etc. ............"
And then, Dad added, "Last time when we married your mum, I was without savings. Now I millionaire" Ohhh...Dad (when were you ever a millionaire, duh! Say little when you nothing to say next time. In a good way, I believe Beh should concur my Dad's statement.
I answered, "I know lah...er...er...er...but I also dunno lah, up to him also watt because his life's philosophy is......". Since the night FP, Callie and I went to watch Bride's War, I do not think about how my marriage day or the 'aftermath' of it would be. What triggers the question from my parents could be at that moment of conversation there was this news in E! Channel about Madonna and whatever kiddo she's living in now and Jennifer Aniston with that John Mayer dating life on air. Parents caught up with Hollywood?! Or maybe earlier I told my parents about my to-date THREE invitations to weddings in 2009 already.
This month has been a self-relfection time for me too. They call it the Crossroad. These are the times I loathe but will consequently face. 1. I always make my Ph.D. number one priority. Finish it first, then only we talk about other things, k? Which will subsequently come to point no. 2:
2. I will marry only when I start working. Which is NOT teaching swimming although it could earn me more than my future job.
3. Uncle Kuok needs me to work a proper job. Which is NOT teaching swimming.
4. I have a house, a car, and savings. But I have not found my true passion yet. Which is NOT Salsa. Which is definitely not insects. Not shopping. It was Aikido. Maybe it IS swimming? Writing? I don't know.....
5. Marriage comes naturally, and it comes from the male-side of things (Of course mar, I propose to him meh?!)
6. Almost forgot: I need a man.
My dad came out with a simple solution: Engage first.
.
.
.
.
.
Wait........ isn't that Marriage too?!
5 comments:
aiyar.. make them watch "he's not that into you" la... see how ben affleck and jen anniston oso happy without marriage ma..
ooo, i beg to differ then.
I am a great believer of marriage!
No way if a guy love me and have no plans in marrying me.
It's my life's philosophy too
ivy...don't worry...u're not the only one being bombarded with those questions...my parents are also bugging me about it...my mum is already looking forward to my BIG DAY eventhough i don't have a man yet..LOL...and my dad is asking "when's your turn?" when i tell him i've received yet another wedding invitation card...
i guess...at the end of it whether we're ready or the men are ready...it all comes down to God's perfect timing =)
luckily my mum hasnt really talked about it to me...she is more worried about my eldest sis. it feels awkward that suddenly our parents r so concerned about our r/ship and marriage.
haha..
i like this post :)
Post a Comment